Sunday, 1 February 2015

In My Kitchen - February 2015

Welcome to my In My Kitchen (IMK) update for February 2015. This post is part of the IMK series, brought to you by the lovely Celia, of Fig Jam and Lime Cordial. Pop over to her blog to link up with bloggers from all over the world, for a glimpse into their kitchens and lives for the last month. Its a very interesting read, and I make several trips back to her page for updates. Many a cup of tea has been had as I peruse blogs from all over the globe.

My kitchen this month has seen lots and lots of fresh produce. The vast majority of which has been purchased from farmers markets, sunday markets, fruit stores, some from my own garden, some from a neighbours garden, and some lovely jam from a work colleague. This year I am making great efforts to source our produce from non-supermarket sources. Firstly to buy as close from the producers as I can, and secondly as it is generally far better quality. I am in the process of adding to my existing vegetable garden beds and we have plans for more fruit trees for the yard.

The Capital Region Farmers Markets are the 'crème de la crème' of markets, but a bit of a trek from Tuggeranong each week. When I do make it there on a Saturday morning, I make sure I stock up. Here was my last haul.


Bought from the same markets was a delicious fruit loaf. I am quite proud of my precision loaf cutting. I popped this in the freezer, so I could have a tasty breakfast for the days that followed.


A work colleague was inundated with plums from their plum tree. Apparently only half their tree fruited, but they estimated that still produced nearly 30kg!! I swapped an empty jar and some home grown chillies for a large jar of their cardamom plum jam, nice.


I have purchased a few whole watermelon this month. Each time I pick up these monsters I still get that childish urge to smash the melon on the ground, just to see what happens, but then I quickly grow up again and sensibly place it in the car. I saw recently at a plant nursery baby watermelon seedlings. I wonder if they would work in the Canberra climate?


In my kitchen are some lovely condiments, purchased online from Farmhouse Direct. The apricot vanilla conserve was consumed over the course of 2 weeks. Devoured atop of cream cheese spread atop of toasted fruit loaf (see above). What a great flavour combination!! The spiced cherry jam and balsamic essence have yet to be opened. 


I am always on the look out for a new tea. This toasty nougat sounds perfect for the cooler days we have experienced of late.


A new book to add to my bookshelves... This book has some great recipes and tips for making everyday foods at home. I love that it gives you more control over exactly what goes into whatever you make, plus its a nod to 'getting back to basics' which is nice.


Thanks for stopping by. Drop me a line, I would love to hear what is going on in your kitchen too! Don't forget to pop over to Celia's blog, to catch more IMK posts.
Kirsty xx

34 comments:

  1. Nice haul there, Kirsty... I grew a watermelon in Canberra once... a year or two ago... I think the timing of the planting has to be perfect... and we need a good summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the watermelon growing tip Liz. This is my second year running raised garden beds and I'm happy to keep on winging it as far as timing goes. You never know what the weather will throw at you.

      Delete
  2. Love the look of that fresh produce! Whenever I see a particularly good watermelon, the line from Dirty Dancing always comes to mind. Definitely showing my age now :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Lisa, isn't it funny when random memories get triggered like that!

      Delete
  3. Ooh, I love the sound of the cardamom spiced plum jam! And what a beautiful fresh haul - makes me miss summer! Happy February :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That jam is dark, heady with spice and almost port like. Yum! Happy Feb to you too Ania

      Delete
  4. All that fresh produce looks so delicious! The cardamom plum jam sounds fantastic as does the apricot vanilla conserves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gretchen. I would gladly inhale that apricot vanilla conserve again. I wonder if they make it in bigger jars? ;) cheers, Kirsty

      Delete
  5. Can you come around and cut my loaves for me? Your bread cutting skills are mega. Cardamom Plum Jam sounds marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Why thank you! I was kinda in the 'zone' on that cutting job. The jam is great. I might work it in as a marinade for meat, pork maybe? Mmmm

      Delete
  6. Kirsty, I love the look of that book, I have written down the author's name to check it out. It looks like a gem. Love all your produce too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FYI I purchased it (and many other books) from The Book Depository. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Fabulous looking fruit and veg and I like the sound of plum with cardamom jam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! I love that that f&v is so darn colourful. What do they say... eat the rainbow?

      Delete
  8. Yum, some very tasty sounding items in your kitchen, Kirsty. Plum and cardamom sounds very creative. In the spirit of childish fantasy, I saw a photo a couple of days ago of a Collie dog wearing a helmut made from a watermelon... it was captioned: Melon-collie. Lol. Sorry. Thanks for playing IMK with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!! too cute. Ya gotta a little childish fantasy now and then... : )

      Delete
  9. I get urges to smash watermelon too, in fact I did it once, into the face of a guy I fancied. We've been married 40 yrs this year. He loves sharing the story with the grand kids. Every time I serve them watermelon he warns them not to trust me....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! what a story, and you are still together! Great to hear. Good thing you didn't use a pumpkin... ;)

      Delete
  10. Ooh I love a good loaf of bread sliced in the freezer (we have some sourdough but I have to try and make sourdough fruit bread). I took have been eating cream cheese and apricot jam on toast thought not much fruit toast in our house. All looks very beautiful. I would love to buy a whole watermelon but worry I would not get through it - though I do love whizzing it up into juice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo watermelon juice sounds nice, especially on a hot day!

      Delete
  11. Spiced cherry jam sounds divine, as does the plum. And what a clever idea slicing the loaf and freezing the whole thing when it's fresh. I would usually freeze whole and then defrost to slice but your idea makes much better sense. Tasty tour. Fiona xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona! I will have to buy some more, that fruit loaf was uber tasty.

      Delete
  12. I wonder if Toasty Nougat tea is sweet? And what a great trade you made for that homemade jam - can you imagine if only HALF their tree fruited and they got 30kg, what kind of haul they must have on a good year? :) Lovely fresh produce in your kitchen, Kirsty! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Celia. I've only had one pot of the Nougat tea, and it had a very subtle caramel, toffee flavour. I think next time I'll amp up the amount I put in to intensify the flavours. I think my jammy colleague is quietly thankful that only 1/2 his tree fruited. They were inundated. I don't think plum is their favourite flavour at the moment. Too much of a good thing, me thinks : )

      Delete
  13. Hi Kirsty, that fruit bread looks delicious! And I'd be curious to see what else is in that book! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily, sadly that fruit bread is but a memory. A tasty memory at that! That book is chockers with great recipes. I'll have to whip u a few and take some pics for a post.

      Delete
  14. Such lovely fresh produce, though the spiced cherry jam really grabbed my attention. Can't wait to hear how the DIY book works, especially the 30-minute claim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't cracked open that cherry jam. I'm not sure what to have it on... what do you think would do it justice? Thanks for stopping by, cheers Kirsty

      Delete
  15. oh that fruit bread - yum! And that tea variety - you are right, perfect for cooler days! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giulia that bread was super tasty. Indeed we have had some cooler weather.. and now, hot and humid. Summer can't make up its mind.

      Delete
  16. All your produce looks wonderful Kirsty and that plum jam - yumm! Look forward to hearing some amazing recipes from your cookbook and produce next month for IMK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole. I would looove to take a few weeks off work just to try out the recipes and work through all my other cookbooks!! *sigh*, thanks for stopping by, K

      Delete
  17. Kirsty, your produce "haul" is gorgeous! Can't wait until Farmer's Market season starts here again. YES to close to the source ingredients! You also showed great self-restraint in not smashing the watermelon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I must keep my inner child in check at all times ;)

      Delete