Sunday, 1 March 2015

In My Kitchen - March 2015

Welcome to my In My Kitchen (IMK) post for March. This series is brought to you by the lovely blogger Celia of Fig Jam and Lime Cordial fame. Pop on over to her blog, and you'll find links to bloggers from all over the world that take part in this wonderful series. Stay a while too, and get to know Celia. Have you met Priscilla, her sourdough starter? She has gained worldwide fame!

In my kitchen this month are fresh blackberries. Not ones that I've picked, but ones that I've purchased. Ones that I know where they come from. Isn't it sad that its taken a full on health scare, where there are nearly two dozen people sick from HepA to finally do something about food labelling in this country.  Lets hope there is not too much push back from business and labelling laws are actually worth their salt...

In my kitchen... is the last ever issue of SBS Feast magazine.  I got wind on social media a few days before the issue came out that it was to be the last. Alix Davis' editorial in the April issue confirms that the call to pull the magazine was swift, and was made just after the edition was sent to print. I really enjoyed this magazine, as it filled a well needed niche in the market. Lots of interesting stories about food origin, food cultures, and recipes from all over the world. I hope the team goes on to something related... time will tell.

In my kitchen... are duck eggs! turned into two duck egg sponges. The first cake was a tester for consumption at home, covered in cream and passionfruit. The second was taken to work, shared amongst colleagues and paired with whipped cream and diced strawberries. Birds Custard Powder was used in both. When we were kids, my folks used to get Birds shipped out from family in the UK, as we couldn't get it in Australia then. I guess I use it now because I've grown up with it.


In my kitchen... is a quick "no supermarket" baked chicken dinner. Tomatoes from my garden, remaining veg and the bacon from the farmers market and chicken from the butcher.

In my kitchen... is a gorgeous bud flower ring vase, made by a local potter.

In someone elses kitchen... Well the Lanyon Café in Canberra to be exact, is breakfast at a friend's birthday celebration. Eggs benny is my 'go to' café breakfast. Yum!

So tell me, what is going on in your kitchen this month? Drop me a line, I'd love to hear about it. Or better yet, join in the IMK series fun.
Cheers, Kirsty xx

32 comments:

  1. I'm devastated about SBS Feast as well - my favourite food mag! Your duck egg cake looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am only 3 issues into a 12 month sub, purchased by my step-daughter, so she will now have to seek a refund! They are offering a transfer to another magazine, except I don't want any they are offering. I really liked Feast, and stopped buying other mags. Ho hum... By the tone on their FB page, there are a few disgruntled foodies out there. Thanks for stopping by. K xx

      Delete
  2. Duck eggs are amazing in baked goods. Your cake is stunning. And YAY for eggs benny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so different than chicken eggs hey. A colleague of mine, who used to be a baker (is now a software tester, go fig!) said try them in a pavlova... mmm I might give that a go. Thank you, I am just a lil chuffed with that first cake :) Cheers, Kirsty

      Delete
  3. Kirsty, Your cake looks so good. I have never made a sponge so I am very impressed when others do. I didn't know of Feast's demise. How sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Glenda! I love making sponges, they are so light compared to other rich buttery cakes.

      Delete
  4. Your cake is lovely. I didn't know about the Hep A outbreak in Australia. Your post prompted me do a quick Google search and educate myself. Such a shame that we need to avoid food that comes from China.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Liz, it really makes you stop and think about the entre food system, who grows what, who processes it, how many hands it goes through, standards and controls... scary stuff really.

      Delete
  5. Your cake looks lovely! So sad about the berries, smoothies were my go to snack for a long time, so I had a freezer full of berries (both local and imported). I hope it means labelling changes for the better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Lisa, I hope they pick a simple system for labelling that is informative and easy to read

      Delete
  6. G'day and so sad about the magazine, Great food photos!
    LOVE your bud flower ring vase and thanks for this month's IMK kitchen view too!
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Joanne, thank you for stopping by ye olde blog :) !!!

      Delete
  7. Hi Kirsty. Sensational sponge you have there. My favourite with passionfruit. it is definitely a shame about feast but an unfortunate sign of the times. I hope that something changes re the labelling but really....the government dont really care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tania, I'm hoping the labels get better too, there is so much confusion out there and it doesn't need to be like it is. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  8. I'm another adoptive parent to one of Priscilla's offspring, we've called her Pussy Galoaf and I'm so happy to join IMK for the first time, to share her with everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Kavey, great name Pussy Galoaf. I bet she's Galore-ious! Welcome to IMK, its a lot of fun.

      Delete
  9. I have an almost identical bud vase. I love it. I'm a bit of a fan of the pan bake myself. I also like to add a tin of drained butter beans and I usually have some feta hanging around too. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiona, Pan bake is my go to for a mid week quick 'baked' dinner too. Love the idea of adding a tin of butter beans too, mmm hearty.

      Delete
  10. Your duck egg cake looks so delicious. I absolutely love the bud ring vase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Gretchen. I'll have to find something dainty to put into the bud ring vase.

      Delete
  11. Hi Kirsty, that cake looks delicious! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how good does your sponge look? It's been a long time since I've made a sponge but yours is tempting me to give one a go. I didn't know about Feast being no more such a shame. Love a good eggs benny. Thanks for the peek into your kitchen this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Vicki! yeah it is a bummer about Feast. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  13. Ohh, that cakes looks really good. :D
    And that bakes chicken is so delicious. I am feeling hungry now.

    Have a lovely week.
    Stopping by from IMK,
    Jhuls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for finding me on the IMK carousel! Thanks about the cake too, I'm biased and will agree with you 100% cheers, Kirsty

      Delete
  14. Ooo, a slice of your beautiful cake would hit the spot right now.
    Have a super day.
    :-) Mandy xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had another piece left over , dang that was a good cake! Thanks Mandy, K xx

      Delete
  15. I was sad to hear Feast is no longer - my mum had a subscription so I was reading hers occasionally - love your sponge cake - passionfruit topping is a favourite of my mums so I love it but many in the family don't like it so we don't often get it (she is the sponge baker in the family - I am not) and I have never heard of a bud flower ring vase before but it looks beautiful and I would love to see it filled with flowers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Johanna. I've yet to fill the vase. I want to find just the right dainty flower. Cheers, Kirsty xx

      Delete
  16. oh what a shame about Feast. I did not know that. love your duck eggs.. i have a couple too in my fridge, a gift from a friend. gorgeous sponge too! and blackberries -my fave.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Definitely sorry to see Feast magazine fold... it was one of the better ones, that's for sure. Duck eggs make the most amazing sponges, don't they. Incidentally, was lovely to meet you last week. : )

    ReplyDelete